Tammy Lakatos Shames and Lyssie Lakatos, “The Nutrition Twins®,” love beans so much that they can’t choose their favorite variety! In their practice as registered dietitians and personal trainers, they encourage clients to incorporate beans into their diets as a of versatile and economical source of plant-based protein. They also love that beans contain fiber, phytonutrients, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, which are essential for good health. Tammy and Lyssie have more than 15 years of experience helping thousands to lose weight, get healthier, happier and into tip-top shape. They are the authors of The Nutrition Twins’ Veggie Cure, Fire Up Your Metabolism and The Secret To Skinny. The duo has been featured as experts on The Doctors, Good Morning America Health, CNN and Fox and Friends, USA Today, Health Magazine and Vogue. Tammy and Lyssie live in New York City where they enjoy running and biking to keep fit as well as chasing after Tammy’s twin daughters.
Try this Chickpea Blondie recipe, which is a favorite of the Twins and will become a go-to recipe for those afternoon snacks for the kids!
recipe courtesy of The Nutrition Twins®
Ingredients (serves 16)
1, 15-oz can chickpeas, also may be found as garbanzo beans
1/2 cup all natural peanut butter
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/3-cup dark chocolate chips, plus 1 Tbsp., reserve for top
1 Tbsp. unsweetened coconut flakes, reserve for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spritz an 8×8 pan with oil in a spray container.
- Rinse chickpeas and place in food processor. If using a blender, after rinsing chickpeas, remove their skin before placing in the blender by pinching the chickpea between your fingers. The skin will easily fall off and will take about five extra minutes and will ensure a very smooth blended product.
- Combine all ingredients except the chocolate chips and unsweetened coconut flakes in a food processor and blend until completely mixed.
- Fold in 1/3-cup dark chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly in pan, top with reserved 1 Tbsp. of chocolate chips
- Bake for approximately 18 – 20 minutes. This will vary depending on your oven. You do not want to overcook these so check on them to see if they are ready sooner in your oven. They should be moist and a little brown around the edges. Insert a toothpick; if it comes out clean they are done. Cool pan on a wire rack until pan is cool to touch, sprinkle with unsweetened coconut flakes.
- Cut into squares. Makes 16 blondies
- Delicious immediately or cool in a refrigerator for a delicious cold treat. If you prefer them to be firmer, simply allow them to cool in the fridge.
Nutrition Facts Per 1 Serving: 123 Calories, 6 g Fat, 2 g Saturated Fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 35 mg Sodium, 15 g Carbohydrate, 2 g Fiber, 8 g Sugar, 3 g Protein
Make sure to follow Tammy and Lyssie on their website and Social Media!