Use a 4- to 6-quart camp Dutch oven
1 cup dry garbanzo beans
1 cup dry lima beans
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
½ red bell pepper, sliced
½ yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 poblano chile, sliced
4 medium garlic cloves, chopped
1 ½ pounds Italian sausage, cut into 1-inch chunks and cooked
1/8 cup fresh oregano leaves
- Soak the garbanzo beans overnight or for at least 8 hours in a bowl with water, covering up to 3 inches above beans.
- Prepare fire for Dutch oven as directed below.
- Drain the garbanzos and put in the Dutch oven along with the dry lima beans and enough water to cover, plus about an inch more. Cook for about 1 ½ hours or until the beans are soft.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the oregano to the beans. Put the lid on the Dutch.
- Arrange coals. I used 7 coals for the bottom and about 15 for the top.
- Check the beans often, about every 10 to 15 minutes, and add water if needed. The beans need to be just covered with water while cooking.
- Once the beans are cooked and the peppers are soft, sprinkle the fresh oregano on top. Serve.
Note: You can use two 15-ounce cans of garbanzos in place of the dried and two 15-ounce cans of cannellini beans in place of the lima beans. If using canned beans, just use ¾ cup of water instead of covering the beans with water and mix all ingredients except the oregano at the start of the recipe.